Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lenten Series: Spring-cleaning

March marks the beginning of spring-cleaning season in my house.  So this year, as I look around to get an idea of all that needs to be done, I know where I need to begin… "the dark room"!  The dreaded dark room.  No, I'm not a photographer.  This room used to be my guest room.  It was comfy, inviting and cozy.  But somehow, anything that needed a place and didn't have one, ended up there.  So, this otherwise sparkling room is now filled with Christmas décor that didn't make it to the storage bins, regular décor that needs a new home, picture frames that need to be hung, and cobwebs that need to be removed.  I guess this is my starting point for spring-cleaning.  If I can tackle "the dark room", everything else will be easy.

March also marks the beginning of the season of Lent.  Regardless of what religion you practice, this is a pretty good season that we all need.  You see, Lent is like spring-cleaning for the soul.  Every now and then, we need to stand back, open the door and begin to clear out our cobwebs.  We each can do this in the way that we feel is best for us.  For me, Lent means finding a way to make the windows of my soul shine.  The spring-cleaning of my soul needs to transform me so that those that surround me feel comfy, invited and cozy.  I want my loved ones to want to be near me, as much as I want my guests to enjoy their stay in my guestroom. 

Deciding what to do this year, as in other years, wasn't easy.  I can offer to give up coffee or lose weight.  But, honestly, who wants to be around me for 40 days without coffee and on a diet?  Heck, I don't even want to be around myself.  No, I won't don't that.   So, I dig deeper.  I want to tackle the hardest part first, just as I tackled "the dark room" first.  Once I can do that, everything else will be so much easier.

My mom was telling me about a book she's reading about holding your tongue.  It's written by Joyce Meyers.  As we discuss what she has read, we both agree that holding our tongues is probably one of the hardest things anyone can do.  We both laughed and continued on to the next subject.  But, now that I'm thinking about Lent, maybe this is "the dark room" I need to start with.   

Anyone who knows me knows that if you ask me my opinion you will get it.  Most times, you will get it even without asking me.  As I consider this for Lent, I decide to put it into practice a little earlier to see if I can do it.  Not that this was planned on my part, but since this is in the back of my mind, the opportunity arose and I decided to try it.  I saw someone at our local big chain discount store, who began talking to me about a mutual acquaintance.  I did a lot of smiling and nodding to acknowledge that I was listening to him, but didn't say much.  I tried to change the conversation before I gave in and started agreeing with his comments about this other person, but the conversation kept going back to his opinion about this mutual acquaintance.  I graciously said good-bye and tried to leave, but he followed me and kept talking.  I finally said that I had to get going and did so. 

Let me tell you.  Not saying anything or acknowledging that I agreed was one of the most difficult things I've done.  I'm not saying that I succeeded with flying colors.  Every now and then I did throw out a comment that I later regretted.  But if I hadn't been using this opportunity as a practice run for Lent, I would have said so much more.  I agreed with absolutely everything he said and I couldn't tell him so.

It will not be easy.  Spring-cleaning never is.  But this is "the dark room" that I will clean out first.  If I can do this for forty days, I will have made a comfy, inviting place that makes everyone feel welcome.  How will you do your spring-cleaning this year?  What's "the dark room" that you will work on for forty days?  For now, while the season of Lent begins, I will continue tackling my guest room.  Who knows?  Maybe by Easter, I will not only have spring-cleaned my house, but also my soul.  Happy spring-cleaning, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, such enlightening and humorous writing. I do believe there's a "dark room" in all of us, and challengening is the most difficult. I want to say that the last two years of my life, while battling cancer and not knowing whether I was going to survive or not, was the dark room for me. However, when I think about it more clearly it was not, because although there were times that were very dark for me, I could always see a bit of light. My dark room's door didn't close completely. The door was never closed completely so I can see the light outside this room, and this is where I begin my pursuit for a better life.

    I will agree with you, it's not always easy, because we are so easily suaded by those around us, but I have tried to do things better, reconcile my emotions and try to be proud of myself as a mother, family member, friend and hopefully an advocate for others.

    So after reading your very enlightening blog, I ask myself, how can I make my pursuit for a better being better? Well, by actually making time to volunteer my services.

    I want to help, however, I always find myself too busy, and in reality, I can give up several hours a week and during the weekend to help others and I'm going to do it.

    We are always asking God to help us, yet we never really listen to him asking us to help him, forgetting that all relationships are reciprocal.

    So for my lent, I'm going to give up those times that I need to sleep because I've been out partying the night before and do something productive and help others.

    Thank you for your so very wonderful and inspirational words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duvalia, thanks so much for commenting and for posting this blog on your page. Women like you inspire. I'm so glad you are giving of your time during lent. Please keep us posted on your progress. We will do this together!!!

    ReplyDelete