Friday, March 18, 2011

Lenten Series: A Place to Call Home

I have recently found a new place of worship.  I had been in my church for over a decade, but due to changes that occurred, it no longer felt like home.   Reluctant to change, I simply stopped going.  After about a year of not going regularly to any service, I decided I had to find a new place of worship, new spiritual home.   And lucky for me, I did.  I finally found a place where I feel comfortable.  But it wasn't easy for me to take that first step and start my search.

Many people have asked me how I chose to remain in my faith when so many people are changing to other religions.  I believe in my church.  I believe it was established by God.  I believe God will always be here.  I know it has its flaws, but it has stood the test of time.  You see, for me, my relationship with my church is like my relationship with my husband.  I dated a lot of guys before I met him.  But when I met him, I knew that he was the one.  He complements me.  He completes me.  He's perfect for me.  He's not perfect himself, but he's perfect for me.  He has flaws, but what I feel when I'm with him overshadows any flaws.  My relationship with my church is the same way.  There are many options, but this is where I feel most at home.  This is where I feel complete.  This is where I can grow spiritually.  So, the house may change.  That's okay.  But the church continues to be the same.  That's why it was so important for me to stay in my religion.

Deciding whether or not we want to continue practicing our current religion is the first step to finding a home.  We need to ask ourselves if we still believe what the church professes as true.  We probably won't find a religion that we agree with 100% of the time, but we should agree on many of the doctrines taught .  So now that we've decided on the denomination that best suites us, let's go to the next step.

Once I decided that I didn't want to change my faith, I started my search.  It just so happens that I had to go outside of my town to find this one.  It's not too far away; about a 25 minute drive at most.  But everything about this church draws me to it.  The people are so friendly.  The music is magnificent.  The preaching is incredible and the service in general is spiritual, very spiritual.  When finding a place of worship, the atmosphere that's created within the four walls is very important.  I've gone to churches where the music would put me to sleep and the preaching was more like being in a history class.  I've also gone to others where I feel I'm in a disco with so much screaming and jumping that it terrifies me. 

I'm certainly not criticizing these services.  There are many people who prefer these types of worships.  The point is, there are many types of worship services within the denomination that we decide to practice.  We should find one that suites us.  That takes us one step closer to our spiritual goal.  It should be within our area so that the drive doesn't become our excuse for not attending regularly.  Location and atmosphere are key to finding the home that's best for us.

Finally, I looked at what the church offered.  Were there groups that I would like to be a part of?  What activities, outside of Sunday worship service, were available?   Was there a place for me within these four walls?  The church I chose as my place of worship has many groups to chose from.  Not that I've chosen to participate in any, but there are many that I could easily be a part of.  During the week, they offer an interval of 30+ nonstop hours where the church is open and we are encouraged to go and pray.  This is by far, my favorite time.  It is a time where I kind of catch up on my prayers.  I'm always putting prayer at the end of my day and sometimes I fall asleep and don't really get to finish.  So, separating two hours a week to attend the 30+ hours is something I cherish.

When looking for a place of worship, we should see if the activities offered benefit us as an individual and as a family.  If I had small children, I would look for one that offered bible studies or youth ministry for teenagers.  In order for a church to feel like home, you have to become a part of more than just the Sunday worship. 

If you don't have a place to call home, maybe this is the season to start your search.  I know many people say they don't need a place of worship because they have a personal relationship with their God.  I tried that for about a year and it didn't work for me.  So, if that works for you, then that's great.  But if you are like me, and need a place that can guide you on your spiritual journey, that can make you feel like you are part of a bigger family, then start your search for a place to call home.   

Setting aside time to attend an established service will draw you closer to God.  It will help you to grow spiritually.  When we grow spiritually, we become better spouses, better parents, better leaders, better individuals.  My pastor usually says at the end of service, "Now don't leave the blessings you are receiving in the parking lot."  I don't.  I feel so blessed and I want that to last all week.  I leave service happier, uplifted, eager to spread my joy.  Many blessings to you.  Happy seeking!

No comments:

Post a Comment